Founded July 1, 2014 and funded in part by an EARN Maryland grant award administered by the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation, the Western Maryland IT Center of Excellence links regional Information Technology industry leaders with economic development leaders to encourage business retention, expansion, and the attraction of new business within the IT sector in Western Maryland.
Both job readiness and incumbent IT training as well as the overarching goal to present Allegany County as “Technology Ready” is the main focus of the Center.
The IT Center is an entity where both potential employers and employees can connect, learn more about Allegany County’s technology preparedness, gain the IT education they need to be competitive, and explore professional development and further training options available locally. The Center is also a collaborative hub for existing IT employers and will deliver professional development opportunities by convening and development cutting edge technology lectures, industry leader forums, and information sharing.
The IT Center of Excellence has both industry and infrastructure partners to assist in achieving their organizational goals.
- Allegany County Chamber of Commerce
- Allegany County Economic Development Office
- Allegany County Library System
- Allegany College of Maryland, Computer Science department
- Center for Career and Technical Education, IT Networking program
- City of Frostburg
- Cumberland Economic Development Corporation
- Department of Business and Economic Development, State of Maryland
- Frostburg State University, Computer Science & Information Technologies department
- Tri- County Council for Western Maryland
- Western Maryland Consortium
Become a Partner Organization
The Western Maryland IT Center of Excellence links regional IT industry leaders with economic development leaders to encourage business retention, expansion, and the attraction of new business within the IT sector in Western Maryland. If you support this mission and believe that your business would be a good fit, please contact us about becoming one of our industry partners.
Community Tech Programs & Organizations
We are excited to see the growing number of educational and economic opportunities for technology careers in Western Maryland.
Some of the active groups that the IT Center works with are:
- Mountain Maryland Tech Network
- University of Maryland Extension – Allegany County 4-H
- Western Maryland Works Makerspace – Coming Soon